History of Remax
Established in Denver, Colorado in 1973, RE/MAX is recognized as one of the leading international global real estate franchise companies with the most productive sales force in the industry. RE/MAX has over 120 000 agents operating from over 6 500 offices in over 97 countries worldwide.
RE/MAX of Southern Africa, which was founded in 1994, is regarded as the pioneer of the RE/MAX international expansion as it was the first country franchise to be sold outside of North America. RE/MAX of Southern Africa was recognised as the top RE/MAX region in the world for 2012 at the group’s Las Vegas convention in March 2013. RE/MAX has over 2 450 agents operating from over 175 offices in 10 countries in Southern Africa.
In order to position the company for continued growth in all markets in the next 20 years, Z Capital Properties (Pty) Ltd, a prominent black empowerment company, has purchased a 45% ownership interest in RE/MAX of Southern Africa.
In logo form, the RE/MAX Balloon is virtually everywhere, and when people see it, they think of the local RE/MAX agents they know.
- RE/MAX named the largest real estate franchise in USA and Canada in 1993.
- Peter Gilmour named RE/MAX International Regional Director of the year in 1997.
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa named RE/MAX International “Region of the Year” in 2001.
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa named top Real Estate Franchise in South Africa by a 2001 survey by Finansies en Tegniek (Finance Week).
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa named as the “Franchisor of the Year” in the All Industries category by FASA in 2003. This was the first time this top honour was given to a real estate company.
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa voted as the number one Real Estate Franchise in an annual survey conducted by Finance Week in 2004.
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa was a finalist in the category “Brand Builder of the Year” by FASA in 2004.
- RE/MAX LLC makes the Franchise Times annual “Top 200 Survey” for the first time in 2006. RE/MAX has continued to out-rank all other real estate groups on this list every year since, in what’s now known as the Entrepreneur’s annual Franchise 500® survey.
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa voted as No.1 Real Estate Company in the “Top 500 Companies” in South Africa publication in 2010
- Adrian Goslett CEO awarded “Mover and Shaker” Award at the Annual Property Professional Awards in 2010
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa named the largest Real Estate Franchise by Fin Week in 2011
- RE/MAX of Southern Africa named RE/MAX International “Region of the Year” in 2012.
- Competing within the Middle East and Africa category, RE/MAX of Southern Africa wins Region of the Year at RE/MAX’s 45th annual R4 Convention in Las Vegas in 2018.
- RE/MAX LLC named a top 10 global franchise for the first time by Entrepreneur magazine in 2018.
- In November 2019, RE/MAX of Southern Africa is officially confirmed to be the #1 brand in terms of number of agents, number of sales, and in sales by Rand value.
- In 2020, RE/MAX SA is named the #1 brand in the real estate category in Beeld’s annual Reader’s Choice Awards.